Skip to main content

The Marketplace of Ideas, Slot Demo Update, and More

 The Marketplace of Ideas, Slot Demo Update, and More

Well, in one sense I've made it through one part of the course I mapped out, and in another I've gone even further into the waters of 10/20 and above. I honestly never would've expected this to happen, and at least one of the things that helped make it happen was pure longshot luck (the jackpot). Whereas 2004 was a year of firsts, 2005 was a year of applying what I knew and refining my game while plowing through the small stakes games.

Significant parts of that second year process were not necessarily fun or immediately rewarding, but extremely worthwhile nonetheless. Learning to take the pain of my first large downswing, to play four or even five tables at once, to respect variance and plan for it, and to relentlessly value bet regardless of the short term results -- those were not easy things to do, and I'm still learning in each area. Learning to play live with confidence and full enjoyment was another thing I really picked up in 2005, thanks in large part to the WPBT events, and a certain 72 hour bender in AC with Pinky, Helixx, and SirAlCanHang. Hell, that trip was probably the hilight of the year in terms of sheer entertainment.

I won't recap anything else because recaps are boring, other than to say I am truly satisfied about one thing from my poker play in 2005: I demonstrated that I can beat the 2/4 game without breaking a sweat. That was what I set out to do and I did it in convincing fashion -- over 65,000 hands at that level and a very respectable 1.5BB/100 Slot Demo. Anything that came on top of that was just icing on the cake. Whatever happens at the higher limits, I always want to have this competency to hang my hat on, plus a basic ability to play 1/2 NL games and both beat them and enjoy them. I figure I'll always be able to get something meaningful out of poker as long as I've always got those two tools in my arsenal.

Of course, I went well beyond 2/4 hold'em. I hit limits as high as 15/30 and games as far and wide as razz, crazy pineapple, and stud/8, and the HORSE combo for the first time (Full Tilt, you guys rule for hosting the HORSE Tourneys!!). And I won't be at all surprised to look back in 12 months and be able to say the same sort of things yet again. For those who approach poker as an adventure rather than a profession, there are truly an almost unlimited number of new opportunities, and of course with a little luck and persistence, the chance to try even higher stakes games.

But its those higher stakes games that concern me somewhat. Like Icarus flying higher and higher, I see so many poker players rise through the small stakes ranks only to blow it all when they reach a level they can't beat. Read the 2+2 forums if you want some evidence of this -- plenty is available. Hang out at PokerStars or FullTiltPoker and just wait a few minutes... someone is almost always coming by the tables in observer chat asking for a loan of $50 after going bust. I'm sure a few in the blogger community know of players who have run into this trap.

While it might not seem like much, I believe one of the greatest challenges I (like many other recreational players/bloggers) will face in the year ahead is the consequences of my success. Thus far, I've largely maintained discipline. I've been playing games where even a fantastic session man mean only $75 or so in profit -- the equivalent of a nice pair of jeans or a night of partying hard at the bars. But what happens when I find myself in games where suddenly we're talking about the equivalent of a nice television or a few car payments are at stake.

Not that I'm not bankrolled for these games (I am), or skilled enough to beat them (have you *SEEN* the level of play in Party's 5/10 and 10/20 games?!?!?!) -- its more a question of holding to the same rules and principles that got me here, while really buckling down and doing the little things right (recordkeeping, table selection, tax preparation, datamining). In a longwinded way, I guess I'm saying that in some senses the stakes are higher and that means a lot more than just the denomination of the chips in play.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

123Movies is a great alternate for Online 123movies Lovers

For additional information concerning this website, leave your remark listed below in the comment box. You can additionally follow us on the social media sites platform for more updates.123 Movies or 123movieshub was a system of documents streaming websites functioning from Vietnam, which allowed customers to watch films for free. The 123movies4u network is still energetic via duplicate websites. 123Movies is a great alternate for Online Movie Lovers, It offers ideal as well as latest on the internet motion pictures, TV collection, episodes, as well as anime and so on. It has a good support group we can request and also ask to upload your newest preferred motion pictures, TV programs and so on. Here we can provide a rating after viewing the film. The on the internet streaming is superb to enjoy movies complimentary online. 123movies has Great filter tabs on the web page we can select and view Featured, Most Viewed, Most Favorite, Top Rating, Top IMDb flicks online. Here we ca

Top Tips on Buying a Trampoline

Acquiring a garden trampoline? Adhere to these top 10 trampoline acquiring suggestions and you will certainly find the right trampoline for you and your kids that will give years of fun. If I acquire a trampoline, will it obtain utilized or neglected? We discover all moms and dads marvel once they have acquired a trampoline just how much use it obtains and also we listen to time after time them stating." The trampoline was the best point we have ever before purchased for our kids - they get on it daily". These are the remarks after just a week and additionally after several years. Should I buy a round or rectangle-shaped trampoline? Round trampolines are most usual for use in the garden as they are much less effective than the rectangle-shaped trampolines which are made use of by knowledgeable gymnasts. The round trampolines normally route the jumper to the center of the trampoline floor covering so making them much safer. For many youngsters it would be also harm

An Extensive Manual to Get one of the most Relaxed Mattress Online

Performed you perceive that the most punctual ever before copied sleeping pad is really approximated to be really 77,000 years obsolete? Beds have entirely been really used for 1000s of years in an assortment of sorts and furthermore shapes. The expression 'sleeping cushion' is really obtained originating from the Arabic unknown dialect which proposes to 'hurl one thing down.' The sorts of pads you may situate on the web. There are really various sorts just as sorts of pads to find accessible. Understanding the specs of an assortment of sleeping pad styles will help you decide on what works with your optimal. The following is really a drill-down of the best sorts. Alongside extra rolls, the vastly improved the high caliber of the bedding. Having referenced this, it is in reality still the most well-enjoyed sort of bedding to various. Innerspring pads are in reality a portion of the most spending plan inviting here; and furthermore this is really one of the